readingunderthewillowtree

Alexandra Ivy, Nina Bangs, Dianne Duvall, Hannah Jayne
The Reluctant Wag
Mary Costello
Letters To Nowhere - Julie Cross

For this review and more visit my blog

Letters to nowhere was a real surprise and I didn’t expect to like it as much as I did. I was interested in the gymnastic side of this and interested in the author but I wasn’t expecting much from it at all. It was touching, sweet and beautifully written and I am so glad I read it.

What I really loved about this book was how it deals with grief. Karen has lost both her parents in a car accident and the book is about how she moves on from the accident and how she copes with her grief. Loss is not an easy thing to deal with and everybody copes with it differently. What I loved about this book was that it dealt with the matter head on and explored the many aspects of it. It wasn’t dramatic or over the top, it wasn’t treated as though it was an easy thing to deal with. Instead it studied the stages of grief in a really respectful and adult way. Despite the subject matter Letters To Nowhere is not a hard read. It isn’t angsty or terribly dramatic. It does have emotional moments but this is about moving forward so there was a lot or positivity and hope.

I thought the gymnastic bits were also brilliant I am a fan of the sport but was concerned that the technical aspects would be hard to follow in a book. Julie Cross manages it all really well and the descriptions and gymnastic action was brilliantly done.

What I really loved in this book was the characters. Karen was great she was strong and brave and I did really like her. There were times when her chilled out attitude made me smile and times where I just wanted to hug her when she struggled. The supporting characters were just as great especially Bentley, her couch and new guardian and his teenage son Jordan.

Bentley is probably one of the best adults I have read in YA. So often the adults behave as immaturely as the kids in this genre, or they are the enemy. In this Bentley was a pillar of support and strength. He was caring and kind and took Karen into his home and heart even though he has suffered loss as well.

Jordan was adorable, I loved how supportive and caring he was where Karen was concerned. He was impossible to dislike and I just found him charming and completely endearing. He has his own struggles to deal with but he is open and honest and is more interested in solving problems than complicating them.

The relationship between him and Karen built slowly and beautifully and I really loved them together. They supported one another and were content to take things slowly. There was no real drama where the romance was concerned which I really loved.

My only complaint is that it ended very suddenly without much closure. I feel like an epilogue was needed just to tie up all those little loose ends and to give the reader more of an ending. Apart from that I really enjoyed this, it was sweet, touching and realistic and I would definitely recommend it to other readers.