readingunderthewillowtree

Alexandra Ivy, Nina Bangs, Dianne Duvall, Hannah Jayne
The Reluctant Wag
Mary Costello
Too Hot to Handle - Victoria Dahl For this review and more visit my blog

If you are looking for a sweet, romantic and at times funny read then you could do a lot worse than Too Hot to Handle. This book has a little bit of everything and it was a lot better than I expected it to be. The storyline is not exactly anything new, it doesn’t break boundaries or stretch the lines of the genre. It is essentially a standard romance, but what makes it stand out a little from the crowd are the characters, specifically Merry.

One of the reasons I liked Merry was because she was easy to relate to, her insecurities about live and love are what I consider to be the norm for most woman. Often she would think something and I would recognise it as something I have thought or have said before. It was really nice to have a main female character that was realistic, she wasn’t some ‘babe’ she was quirky, nervous and normal.

She is also great where the romance is concerned. Despite her nerves she throws herself into her new physical relationship with Shane and when things go wrong she is frankly AMAZING at defending and standing up for herself. He hurts her and she lets him know that, that is not ok and that he is not going to break her because she is stronger than that. I was super impressed because normally these women fall into some kind of black hole of depression and become physically unable to function without the man who hurt them.

Shane was not as likeable, you are aware from the beginning that he is not always the best. I don’t think he is ‘bad’ per say but he seems to not understand the severity of his actions until it is too late. The chemistry between Shane and Merry was also great and Victoria Dahl sure knows how to write a steamy sex scene.

Too Hot to Handle is a funny and sweet romance that was a joy to read. I really liked it and recommend it if you are a fan of the genre.

(The Publisher provided me with a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review)