readingunderthewillowtree

Alexandra Ivy, Nina Bangs, Dianne Duvall, Hannah Jayne
The Reluctant Wag
Mary Costello
Club Monstrosity - Jesse Petersen For this review and more my blog

Yes, Jesse Petersen, Yes!

I am a big fan of the urban fantasy genre but I do sometimes get a little fed up with the repetitive nature of it. Sometimes it is hard to find something new and original and I often find that they tend to follow the same patterns. Then Club Monstrosity came along and proved that there is still originality and imagination to be found in Urban Fantasy.

This book was just such a breath of fresh air and from the first page I knew I was embarking on an entirely new adventure. Club Monstrosity revolves around Natalie, one of Frankenstein’s creations and the monster support group (Monstofelldosis Anonymous) she attends. These support group members are just trying to live a normal life and just want to blend in but when they start getting killed off they know their cover is blown.

Club Monstrosity is quirkily written; it is ‘tongue in cheek’ and often made me laugh. It is smart and quick witted and was a joy to read. I like sarcasm and this was full of it so I was bound to be impressed.

What really makes this book work is the characters. Natalie is a strong lead and easy to relate to, I loved her wittiness and look on life, it is hard being a Frankenstein’s monster, having to deal with scars and re-sow on body parts but she handles it well. Her right hand man is Alec the wolf man. I really liked Alec he has to shave often and has a pot habit but he is a sweetie and a loved the understated romance between them.

The supporting characters are all amazing as well there is the snobby Jekyll and Hyde, the bitchy but beautiful Mummy Kai, the over emotional swamp monster Linda, the dramatic Dracula or Drake and Bob the blob. Each of them has amazing monster characteristics that often add to the humour.

There were times where I felt this lost pace and it needed to move on a little and it didn’t always flow but these are small issues and really did not detract from my enjoyment of the book.

Club Monstrosity is an original and sweet urban fantasy that I highly recommend. I cannot wait to start reading the next book and see what happens to these amazing characters next.