readingunderthewillowtree

Alexandra Ivy, Nina Bangs, Dianne Duvall, Hannah Jayne
The Reluctant Wag
Mary Costello
School Spirits - Rachel Hawkins
For this review and more my blog

I have a confession to make…School Spirits is my first Rachel Hawkins book. That’s right, I have not read Hex Hall, I just sort of, missed it. I have to question my choices because if hex Hall is anything like School Spirits I have truly missed out.

I wasn’t really sure what to expect from this book having not read Hex Hall but it was nothing like I thought it would be and I was pleasantly surprised. I thought it would be fairly juvenile, I thought the romance would be consuming and I thought Izzy the main character would be a little too tough and maybe a little annoying. I was wrong on all counts.

School Spirits isn’t juvenile, it is a lot of fun and it made me laugh often but it wasn’t childish. Instead it touched upon some tough subjects and did it well. In the moments where the paranormal stuff was kept to a minimum, it portrayed teen life in a realistic fashion and it reminded me, in parts, of my teen years.

Izzy was not a little too tough and she was most definitely not annoying. In fact she didn’t annoy me once and I admit that I am a massive fan of hers. Rachel Hawkins really wins with her characters, Izzy is a spit-fire but has a very vulnerable side that I think I lot of young readers will relate to. Around Izzy are some pretty amazing co-stars including the enigmatic and slightly bizzare Dex. He reminded me of Tom Hiddleston in the way he spoke and behaved (if you don’t know who that is then seriously, look him up) his dry humour made me laugh a lot and I really loved him.

Another stand out character is Torin whom I might be a little obsessed with. Who knew boys in mirrors were my thing? He is obviously going to play a major part in the upcoming books in the series but as a friend, enemy or love interest remains to be seen.

School Spirits isn’t perfect, it wraps up very quickly in the end and there were times where Izzy’s mum frustrated me but for the most part I thought this was brilliant. I really, really enjoyed it and cannot wait for the next book.