readingunderthewillowtree

Alexandra Ivy, Nina Bangs, Dianne Duvall, Hannah Jayne
The Reluctant Wag
Mary Costello
The 5th Wave (The Fifth Wave, #1) - Rick Yancey

For this review and more visit my blog

The 5th Wave is probably the most hyped up book of the year so far, everywhere I look people are gushing about how good it is, how different and engaging. I was absolutely sure that I was going to love this book yet like so many other times I found myself looking in at a party I was never invited to but desperately wanted to join.

At first I thought I was on to a winner, the first third of this book was nothing short of mesmerizing. It was a harsh and brilliant story of survival and I fell more head over heels with this book with every page I read. The first part of the book focuses on Cassie whom I really like, she was desperate and despairing and her story was horrific but it was terribly gripping.

It managed to keep me guessing, I wasn’t sure what was going on, I was as confused as Cassie and I read her story whilst biting my nails, it was so tense.

But then something changed, the book detoured; it bought in other characters and completely lost me. Cassie’s storyline became less interesting but it was still readable, but the new plot involving her brother and her high school crush was boring and bizarre.

The military are taking in children and training them to fight, it is like something from Full Metal Jacket, grown men are screaming at and bullying children from infants to teenagers, they all have nicknames that irritated me, I swear every time I heard ‘Private Nugget’ I fell even more out of love with this book. It was unbelievable, it completely broke the atmosphere the first third created and I really didn’t like it at all.

I have never gone off a book at the halfway point like I did with this one. There was a point where I was so involved I couldn’t put it down but towards the end I struggled to pick it up, I lost interest, I didn’t care anymore. I skimmed the rest.

Maybe one day I will go back and give this another go and try desperately to see what the rest of the reading world appears to have found, but I doubt it this one was just well and truly lost on me.