readingunderthewillowtree

Alexandra Ivy, Nina Bangs, Dianne Duvall, Hannah Jayne
The Reluctant Wag
Mary Costello
The Rapture - Liz Jensen For this review and more check out my blog

Often I find that books which tread a thin line between one thing and another generally fail. The Rapture (which treads many thin lines) does not.

There is a lot going on in this book, a lot of ‘heavy’, a lot of theory vs. belief. On the surface this book is about a woman trying to pick herself up again after a terrible accident, but it is about a lot more than that. It is about climate change, religion, disability, mental illness, love, psychic beliefs and science. There is a lot going on and a lot to take in.

I personally loved it and found it all fascinating. (I am studying for a degree in Environmental Science and have covered a lot of the theories and scientific fact bought up in this novel.) It could have been easy for this book to be completely impossible to understand, but it isn’t, it is not even complicated. Jensen has made sure that her writing makes sense and that you don’t have to be studying science for it to be clear.

I loved the main character (Gabrielle) there is a lot going on with her and her thoughts are often conflicted and troubled, she has understandably bouts of self-pity but always pushes through it and picks herself up as much as she can.

A lot of Gabrielle’s problems stem from Bethany, a 16 year old troubled patient of hers who can seemingly predict natural disasters, and thinks the rapture is coming. I really liked Bethany which is odd because there is little to like about her. She is violent, rude, manipulative and cruel but she is also incredibly vulnerable. Her ever changing relationship with Gabrielle was brilliant to read.

The Rapture is an absorbing, thrilling and at times terrifying read that I struggled to put down. It is smart without being confusing and is brilliantly written.