readingunderthewillowtree

Predatory
Alexandra Ivy, Nina Bangs, Dianne Duvall, Hannah Jayne
The Reluctant Wag
Mary Costello
The Booby Trap - Anne B. Walker Read this review and others here: http://chattygirlbookreviews.wordpress.com/

*The publisher provided me with this book for review, via Netgalley*

I had problems with this book from beginning to end. It started when I realised the main character was called Bambi Benson (I’m sorry but every time I read her name I cringed, I couldn’t help it) and it continued from there. The Booby Trap is not a bad book, it has a lot to like about it and I think that some people will really like it, but the goodness couldn’t override the issues I had with it. All in all this book is alright; it is a quick read and had moments of fun but was just too unrealistic for me.

Another problem I had was the characters. Bambi is ok but she seems to change her mind a lot and I never felt any connection with her. She does have moments of greatness but again it is not enough to cover for the weaker parts of her character, I just wanted her to have more personality and substance. I found Tripp to be pretty unlikable. For about seventy percent of the book he came across as a spoilt brat he was stroppy and selfish. I just couldn’t get behind him as a main character or love interest.

I also found the relationship between them to be unbelievable. I felt like half the book she was completely uninterested in him and he was interested in someone else. Then suddenly they were falling into bed/love with one another. Their feelings took quite a long time to manifest and when they did it seemed to all happen too quickly.

By far the biggest problem with this book was that it was completely predictable. There are a million other books and movies out there that are about the same thing. This is a plot that has been overdone and there seems to be no more originality in it.

I liked the messages in this book; it has some strong themes about feminism and the different forms that takes. It is also about not judging a book by its cover. I have a lot of time for books that have positive messages in them and so I applaud Walker for adding a little substance.