readingunderthewillowtree

Predatory
Alexandra Ivy, Nina Bangs, Dianne Duvall, Hannah Jayne
The Reluctant Wag
Mary Costello
Bet on a Cowboy (Harlequin American Romance) - Julie Benson For this review and more visit my blog

*The publisher provided me with a copy of this book in exchange for a review.*

Bet On A Cowboy is exactly what you would expect from this kind of book. It is sweet but predictable, dramatic but unrealistic and mostly cute fun. We know to expect these things when we read these books so it wasn’t a problem.

Although we have seen plots like this a hundred times before I still like it. Cowboy bachelor falls in love with plain Jane whilst being surrounded by a bevy of beautiful women who want to get in his pants. It gets me every time; I am a sucker for this type of romance.

I quite liked the characters, both Maggie and Griffin had nice and humorous personalities but they both had the tendency to be a bit self-pitying. Neither could let go off the past and it was bought up a lot. I couldn’t help but be annoyed by it occasionally.

The main issue with this book is the romance. Most of it is perfectly fine but they go from friends to lovers very suddenly with no warning. The intimate scenes felt very detached to the point where I just wasn’t sure why these people were having sex in the first place. There was not spark, no passion and no emotional connection. Thankfully the romance does pick up after that.

Bet On A Cowboy is by no means perfect but it was an entertaining enough read.