readingunderthewillowtree

Alexandra Ivy, Nina Bangs, Dianne Duvall, Hannah Jayne
The Reluctant Wag
Mary Costello
Waking Up Married - Mira Lyn Kelly For this review and more visit my blog

I half liked this one, half didn’t. I loved the storyline and really enjoyed the first half but after that things went downhill for me.

The real issue I had was with the main male character, Conner. I really liked him at first but in the end I wanted to punch him. He was extremely dominating; he would not allow Megan any space even though she asked repetitively for it. He would try and force her decisions with anything he thought might influence her to see thing his way, including the use of sex and intimacy. If her opinion of their relationship, future or anything else differed from his she was instantly wrong and he would then try and prove it. He said he liked her individuality and independence but really he wanted her to conform to his ideas and his way of thinking. Even when he realised what he was doing, how wrong he was he continued regardless because his needs were above hers every time. He did change a little bit but not enough in my opinion. The change came right at the end of the book and it was a little too late for me.

I wish Megan had pushed him more, had fought against him more and not let him have everything his own way. Even when he came grovelling at the end she took what he had to say at face value when he had not always been honest or open with her in the past. I first thought Megan was fierce but she lets people walk all over her not just Conner. She was weak and I wanted her to have more backbone, I wanted her to instigate the change in Conner but that never happened.

Waking Up Married was a fast and enjoyable read that was tarnished slightly by its characters. Still, it was very readable and entertaining.

The publisher provided me with a free copy of this book in exchange for and honest review