readingunderthewillowtree

Alexandra Ivy, Nina Bangs, Dianne Duvall, Hannah Jayne
The Reluctant Wag
Mary Costello
The Stranger - Kyra Davis For this review and more visit my blog

Before I start with this review I should warn you that this book centres on a cheating storyline. I know a lot of readers will not read books where the characters are unfaithful, so if that is you I would stay away.

There was a lot I liked about this book, but there was also a lot I hated and in parts it made me rage. The writing, descriptions and world building is all good, the issue I had with this was the main character Kasie. She was just infuriating not because she cheated but because she was so weak. I do not think I have ever come across a more indecisive character ever. She changes her mind constantly sometimes even in the same sentence and it drove me mad. She was also a push around, she does what she is told and doesn’t think for herself all that often. At one point she actually says that all her life she has been told who to be and what to do so why change now. Seriously?!?! How about living for yourself and being the person YOU want to be?

She finds herself stuck between Dave (her fiancé) and Robert, a stranger she has a one night stand with but can’t stay away from. In my mind there is only one real choice here and that is the kind, sweet and normal Robert. To be frank Dave is a moron. He thinks anything other than vanilla and very polite sex is wrong, he refuses to kiss her...down there, he wants her pure, polite and willing to do whatever he wants. When she says she does not want a diamond engagement ring he argues that a diamond represents purity and that is what he wants her to be. He asks her to be someone he wants and calls it compromise, he is horrible and in her own way Kasie hates him but he is the choice she thinks people would make for her and as she doesn’t have a mind of her own so she sticks with him.

Yet despite all my issues and rage I found this book extremely compelling. I couldn’t put it down and the ending left me wanting more in a way that is frankly embarrassing, I have not been this caught up in drama since Sunset Beach, which probably most of you won't remember. Just One Night is more soap opera than literature but it is entertaining and I can’t wait for the next one.

The publisher provided me with a free copy of this book in exchange for and honest review