readingunderthewillowtree

Predatory
Alexandra Ivy, Nina Bangs, Dianne Duvall, Hannah Jayne
The Reluctant Wag
Mary Costello
Deep Autumn Heat (Star Harbor #1) - Elisabeth Barrett For this review and more visit my blog

Deep Autumn Heat had tonnes of potential but it fell short for me. There was just too many issues that I couldn’t ignore for me to really enjoy this.

The first problem was the characters. Sebastian and Lexie were both quite self-involved and were to career focused for the romance to feel important to me. Sebastian was a little too arrogant for my taste and lacked personality. He seemed a little unconcerned that Lexie is being stalked and leaves her when she needed him the most. He also does silly things like engages in outdoor sexual acts (on her door step) even though he knows her sexually violent ex-boyfriend is stalking and threatening her.

Lexie was no better she constantly ran hot and cold and couldn’t make her mind up. She uses the excuse ‘I cannot live my life in fear’ to justify putting herself in dangerous situations like going into storage cellars in the middle of the night. She did not have to live her life in fear because the police were after her attacker/stalker and were going to arrest him, she had to be cautious for a small amount of time, but apparently that was impossible.

The writing was ok but there was just too much going on. You would think that Lexie was the centre of the whole universe with everything that was happening around her. There was a stalker, a jealous competitor, a romance, a drug bust and another stalker. It was just too much.

Another big problem was the inclusion of scenes that had nothing to do with the storyline at all. The amount of unneeded conversations the reader has to wade through is mind boggling and it lead to me skimming pages and pages of unnecessary detail.

Despite my issues I did manages to get to the end. There were some nice moments and some great secondary characters that I hope will pop up in other books in the series.

The publisher provided me with a free copy of this book in exchange for and honest review