readingunderthewillowtree

Alexandra Ivy, Nina Bangs, Dianne Duvall, Hannah Jayne
The Reluctant Wag
Mary Costello
The Earl in My Bed - Sophie Jordan For this review and more visit my blog

The Earl in My Bed is a sweet little adult novella that ticked all the boxes. I am more used to Sophie Jordan writing YA, having penned the very popular Firelight series, but here she proves that adult romantic literature us well within her grasp as well.

I really liked this story of forbidden romance and passion. I thought the story was well developed despite its length. The characters are likeable; I admired Paget for thinking of herself, so often in books the characters are forever falling onto their swords and giving up their happiness for the sake of others, it is all very admirable but these characters need to think of themselves to and finally we have a character that does that without coming across as selfish.

Jamie is Darcey like; he is quite cold, quite restrained and finds the wait or propriety and earldom heavy. He wants to be left alone and can be surly, but behind the exterior there is a softness to him that it endearing. I loved the chemistry between the characters and the steamy scenes were very good.

The Earl in my Bed suffers in the same areas where most novellas do. The end is a rush and at complete odds with the rest of the book which builds at a nice pace. Quickly wrapped up endings seem to be a plague where novellas are concerned. Apart from that I enjoyed this and would have loved it to have been a full length novel. My interest in this series and in Sophie Jordan as a romance writer has been gained.

(I was provided with a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review)