readingunderthewillowtree

Predatory
Alexandra Ivy, Nina Bangs, Dianne Duvall, Hannah Jayne
The Reluctant Wag
Mary Costello
Hollowland (The Hollows, #1) - Amanda Hocking For this review and more visit my blog

Hollowland is one of the more ‘out there’ books I have read this year, it really was quite bizarre but it was also incredibly entertaining. It has to be one of the most graphic YA zombie book I have read (it was also graphic in other ways mainly sex) it starts with a gruesome bang, straight away you are in the action and it doesn’t let up from there.

At first I thought this was a bog standard zombie novel, then Remy (main character) finds a lion and decides to keep it as I zombie obliterating companion. From there we meet a hansom but cocky rock star, a perverted cult leader and a murdering street gang. I was wrong; this is not a bog standard zombie novel. The bizarreness doesn’t always work but it does mostly and it makes this book different from all the others so I was glad of it.

The main problem I had with this book was that it lacked emotional depth. I liked she was tough and able to look after herself but she didn’t react to what was going on around her enough, and the book misses that emotional connection.

I really enjoyed Hollowland, it was fun and enjoyable.