readingunderthewillowtree

Alexandra Ivy, Nina Bangs, Dianne Duvall, Hannah Jayne
The Reluctant Wag
Mary Costello
Blackwood - Gwenda Bond For this review and more check out my blog

*I was provided with a free copy of this book in exchange for a review*

Blackwood was a novel full of good ideas. The story was interesting and different, the characters were likable and sweet, but somewhere along the line this book misses the mark.

I had an issue with the writing style. There are a lot of thoughts in italic that appear in the middle of a sentence, or just in an inappropriate place. Sometimes the italics are fully formed thoughts that matter to the story, but sometimes it is something simple like ‘sigh’ which seemed a little pointless and unnecessary. It disrupted the flow of the story for me.

There were a lot of times where I wasn’t exactly sure what was going on, especially towards the end. Everything seemed a little unexplained or muddled and I struggled to keep up. What didn’t help is that the plot took a dive into the utterly bizarre and from there it never quite recovered. I also found some of it more than a little uncomfortable.

I would have loved to see these characters in a different story, (maybe a story where the word ‘Frak’ is not used so often) a romance about the loner girl and the bad-boy because those were the parts of the story I thoughts really had potential and heart.

Blackwood is a quick read and a new and interesting take on the paranormal/YA genre. It could have been a tense and spooky horror story, but instead it goes too far and enters a realm of at times ridiculousness.