This review and more are posted on my blog
Something Wicked Comes this way is pretty much what you would expect from an erotic literature anthology. Some of the stories are good, some are bad and some are just damn bizarre.
My reactions whilst reading this book went from this:
All in all the book was good. The stories were well written, well developed and really imaginative…sometimes TOO imaginative.
I am going to go through each story (as they appear in the book) and give you my thoughts on each one.
- Scarred and Kilt by Luarran Dohner: This was a typical paranormal romance story. Take one curious girl, one massive hulk of a vampire, add a desk and...you know where this is going. This story is completely unrealistic, but it takes that fact and runs with it. It doesn’t take itself too seriously and because of that it ends up being fun.
- Tinderbox by Regina Carlysle: This is a mating/shifting/menage story. I am not going to lie, menage is not really my thing but I know there are a lot of readers out there that love these stories. The plot was ok, the characters were ok it was just ok. I found the main female character to be a little bit of a wet blanket and that is generally something I am not a fan of. But if you are a fan of this particular type of story then I think you will like it.
- Asterion by Katalina Leon: I actually quite liked this one. The story (especially in the beginning) was really quite interesting. It was atmospheric and intriguing. The characters were Good especially Darron who was all kinds of cute and endearing. There was a plot which I really liked. I would have liked more of it and think it would make a great full length novel. The ending felt rushed which was a real shame.
- Decadent Dance by Aubrey Ross: What is blue and has two penises?
NO! (I actually have no idea how many penises smurfs have but they are a bit weird so...) The correct answer is the male protagonist of this story. This to be quite honest is Avatar porn (who knew Sam Worthington was hiding that in his pants!) I cannot pretend that I enjoyed this story. My tastes are a lot more…average. I liked the idea though and the aliens sounded really pretty! But apart from that I didn’t really like it, it wasn’t just the alien business there were also some questionable behaviour from said alien that I didn’t quite like.
- Sahara Heat by Diana Hunter: This was my second favourite story in this anthology. It had great characters that bounced off one another brilliantly. There is a spark between them and their banter is entertaining. I am not the biggest BDSM fan but this was on the light side so I was ok with it. It also has a great male protagonist. He looks like Thor, enough said.
- Fatman and Robyn by Jaid Black: This is by far my favourite story of the collection. There is a great plot, it is well written, the characters are likeable, it is cute, hot and they don’t rush into having sex! 90% of this story has no sex in it at all and because of that you get to know the characters and you end up caring for them because you know them.
Something Wicked This Way Comes is not going to change you life. Some of it is great and some is pretty bad. If you are a fan of the genre then it has a little something for everyone. also, despite its sometimes silliness there is plot to be found in these stories which is something I think should always be praised with these books.