readingunderthewillowtree

Alexandra Ivy, Nina Bangs, Dianne Duvall, Hannah Jayne
The Reluctant Wag
Mary Costello
Embrace the Dark - Caris Roane For this review and more visit my blog

*I was provided with a free copy of this book in exchange for a review*

For the first time in a really long time I don’t really know what to say. This book has rendered me speechless and unfortunately I don’t mean that in a good way. I just didn’t like this book at all and even though it is short I couldn’t bring myself to finish it once I got to the half way stage.

I found this book difficult to understand from the outset. I felt that little effort had been made to explain this supernatural world and its people to the reader. This left me feeling a little lost, confused and unengaged. Also the two main characters had known each other for a year before this book started and had already developed a lust/hate relationship. Things moved on so quickly that I couldn’t really grasp where these characters where to begin with. I felt like there should have been a book before this explaining all this instead of just being expected to feel their relationship straight away.

I found the whole thing hard to picture and believe. There were massively muscular, levitating, leather clad male vampires shooting lights out of their palms and the main female character had a condition that made her able to feel the blood inside of her, and it felt lumpy because there was too much of it. I just couldn’t picture or follow this at all.

I thought things might get better when I got to the sex scene but you know things are not going well when love scenes make you laugh out loud. The oral sex/eating double entendre was classic especially when he started ‘feeding’ her. (Cringe) Also she kept talking about how she can feel his ‘frequency’. Apparently it is a vibration he gives off every time they touch, she mentions it constantly. It was all just terribly cheesy and clichéd, it seemed to go on for pages and pages and ended on an awful ‘how was it for you?’ moment. There were also some hilarious names for people’s private parts his ‘rope’ being my personal favourite.

Then there is the moment where the author manages to mention the other books she has written. One of the characters talks about reading a book that the author has written, it was a bit self-indulgent and just isn’t my cup of tea at all.

In the end I gave up. I didn’t like the story and didn’t feel like I knew the characters. There was just nothing here for me.