readingunderthewillowtree

Alexandra Ivy, Nina Bangs, Dianne Duvall, Hannah Jayne
The Reluctant Wag
Mary Costello
Icons - Margaret Stohl

For this review and more visit my blog

Icons is a quick, enjoyable read that kept me very entertained but didn’t blow me away.

Alien invasion novels are the new big thing in YA literature and Icons has stepped up to join the others that have already been released this year. In Icons we do not get to meet the aliens that have taken over and I felt like the otherworldly aspect was really played down which will work for some readers but not for others. I didn’t really mind but I felt like the end of the world could have come from anything and I would have liked to have seen a little more input from the little green men.

Icon is a good dystopian but it stays within the popular parameters of the Genre. There is a corrupt government, a rebellion, a love triangle and teenagers that are the answers to the end of the world. In short it did nothing that we haven’t seen before.

The storyline itself is good and does throw up a few small surprises. It was interesting and well put together and I was entertained all the way through it. The writing was also good and Stohl’s world building was strong and creative.

The characters were decent enough but I didn’t really fall in love with any of them. Dol was a bit boring and sappy. Ro and Lucus were a little too similar in personality to Gale and Peta from The Hunger Games. The most interesting one was Tima, she had some depth to her.

The love triangle didn’t really work for me either. I couldn’t really understand how Dol went from loving one guy to practically forgetting him and then going off with the other one so easily. The one she leaves feels betrayed and I honest cannot blame him.

Icons is a good dystopian YA, it didn’t blow my mind but I enjoyed it and will read the next one in the series.