readingunderthewillowtree

Alexandra Ivy, Nina Bangs, Dianne Duvall, Hannah Jayne
The Reluctant Wag
Mary Costello
How to Date a Dragon - Ashlyn Chase For this review and more visit my blog

How to Date a Dragon sounded great and I couldn’t wait to start it but fairly early into it I realized that this book was not quite what I was hoping it would be. Generally speaking it was alright but I couldn’t shake the opinion that in all areas this book was just trying too hard.

This novel tries to blend urban fantasy, thriller and quirky romance all into one and to be honest that just didn’t work for me at all. I don’t think that books have to stay in one particular genre but this was just all over the place, one page it was trying to build suspense the next it was attempting hipster romance. It just didn’t match for me and I struggled.

Then there were bits that I found just plain weird. There is an evil character who speaks in a barely understandable Jamaican accent essentially just because she feels like it, this character is frankly ridiculous from the minute she appeared and I just couldn’t take her seriously. Then there are the gods looking down from above who kept appearing out of nowhere for a page and then disappearing again. It was generally a page of snark that again just didn’t fit. I think this book was trying too hard to be funny and cool but for me it failed.

The writing was okay but lacked detail and sometimes the dialogue felt forced but I had no trouble envisioning what was going on. I also struggled with the characters and found them quite boring. Bliss was alright but Drake was a wet blanket.

I think I know what the author was trying to do here but for me it just didn’t work. I hope others have more luck with it than I did.