readingunderthewillowtree

Alexandra Ivy, Nina Bangs, Dianne Duvall, Hannah Jayne
The Reluctant Wag
Mary Costello
I Only Have Eyes For You  - Bella Andre

For this review and more visit my blog

I Only Have Eyes for You is a really nice and sweet contemporary romance that I did enjoy. The big issue I had with it was that it is a storyline I have seen around a lot in the last year or so and I am kind of over it. The one night stand ending in pregnancy has been done over and over again. The man who feels worthless and used to be a player but is now devoted to the unsure future mother of his child has also been done over and over again. Unfortunately, for I Only Have Eyes for you I have seen it done better and I read a book about the same thing a week ago that I enjoyed a lot more.

I think that what set I Only Have Eyes for you apart from the similar book I read last week was the cheese factor. This book is just so cheesy and smarmy. It was readable but it was a little too much for me. The book opens at a wedding and goes through nearly every process of the day. The speeches go on for pages and pages and it was just so corny. It bored me in parts and just took far too long to get going.

Despite the cheesiness and long opening there was a lot to like about this book. I thought it was a very sweet romance and once it got going it had really good pace and was easy to get lost in. It was a relatively short read and apart from the wedding didn’t waste any time with unneeded stuff.

The characters were nice but carried around a lot of self-pity. Jake is scared of becoming a violent drunk like his dad. I get why he was scarred by his past but I thought he was really grounded and that there was not even a hint of a dark side to him. I think in reality he knew he would never end up like his father but uses his past as a shield to protect himself against potential hurt. He was charming and sweet and I liked his dedication to Sophie. Sophie was not so full of self-pity but she was not as likable either. I liked her but I didn’t really love her. She was a little naïve at times but a lot more open than Jake.

I Only Have Eyes for you is a sweet contemporary romance that is enjoyable but does nothing new. it is a nice way to spend a few hours if you are a fan of the genre.