readingunderthewillowtree

Pushing the Limits  - Katie McGarry

Pushing the Limits

by Katie McGarry

Format: E-book ARC, 384 pages

Genre: Romance, Drama, Angst, Contemporary.

Expected publication: July 31st 2012 by Harlequin Teen

No one knows what  happened the night Echo Emerson went from popular girl with jock  boyfriend to gossiped-about outsider with "freaky" scars on her arms.  Even Echo can't remember the whole truth of that horrible night. All she knows is that she wants everything to go back to normal. But when Noah  Hutchins, the smoking-hot, girl-using loner in the black leather jacket, explodes into her life with his tough attitude and surprising  understanding, Echo's world shifts in ways she could never have  imagined. They should have nothing in common. And with the secrets they  both keep, being together is pretty much impossible. Yet the crazy attraction between them refuses to go away. And Echo has to  ask herself just how far they can push the limits and what she'll risk  for the one guy who might teach her how to love again.

Pushing The Limits is one of those books.  I read it, I recognized that it was quite good but I didn’t like it.  Quite simply this book was just not for me, which makes this review rather hard to write.

The problem was that this book was just too dramatic for me.  It was drama piled up on top of drama with a touch of what I felt was unrealistic-ness.  It pushed me to the edge of my patience and I had to take many breaks whilst reading this, I just struggled with it from beginning to end.  If you have read my reviews before you will know that I struggle with angst.  I like it in small doses but Pushing the Limits was packed full of it.  It turned me into a bit of a nervous wreck!

Also I struggled to believe that the life’s of the Echo and Noah (the two main characters).  They just seemed to be surrounded by selfish, violent and generally bad people.  (The big exception was Mrs Collins who is awesome.) Their parents, family, friends, even the government seemed to be against them.  This was a big problem for me where Noah was concerned.  I just couldn’t believe that he would be sent to so many horrible and violent carers and I couldn’t believe that no-one seemed to care.

The characters were ok but I couldn’t connect with them.  Echo was a bit too soft for me but I can see the appeal of misunderstood bad boy Noah (even if he was a bit clichéd and annoying at times.)  Together they were alright, it is a romance I think a lot of readers will get sucked in by but again I just couldn’t connect.

I think a lot of other readers will not have the same problem.  This is a book I can imagine people loving, but I just couldn’t handle the endless drama.  Like I said before, it just wasn’t for me.

I may not have enjoyed it but I can honestly say it is a well written book that I think will connect with a lot of readers; I was just not one of them.

2 out of 5 stars