readingunderthewillowtree

By Delphine Dryden

Genre: Adult, Erotica, Romance, Humour, Contemporary

Format: E-book ARC, 136 pages

Published July 9th 2012 by Carina Press

Camilla can set her  watch by her hunky rocket-scientist neighbor who jogs past her window  each day. She relishes each glimpse of his shirtless abs, and is dying  to see more. But it’s hard to connect with a man who doesn’t seem to  know she exists…

Ivan feels at home in the lab, not in social  situations. When he finally approaches his attractive neighbor, it’s not for a date—he wants tutoring in how to behave at an important  fundraiser. Ivan doesn’t expect the chemistry between them to be quite  so explosive, and is surprised when Cami actually accepts his proposal  to embark on a series of “lessons”.

Cami soon discovers Ivan’s  schedule isn’t the only thing he likes to be strict about—he needs to be charge in the bedroom as well. She’s shocked at how much she comes to  enjoy her submissive side, but wonders if a real relationship is in the  equation…

Every now and then a book comes along that challenges the expectation and  clichés of the genre it has been placed in.  The Theory of Attraction by Delphine Dryer is one of these books.  Forget the cover; forget what  you think you know about this genre because this book is something else.   It is BDSM meets The Big Bang Theory.  I wasn’t sure the two together would work yet somehow it did.  Dryer has literally taken the erotic  romance/BDSM handbook and ripped it up.

I knew things were a little different when I read this:

“He’s very much an acquired taste, and it took me a good year at least to realise I’d acquired it.”

At first I was confused; did that mean the male character was not jaw  dropingly, thigh quivering hot? In a way it did, Ivan is not the normal  romantic hero.  He is a scientist, a nerd and is completely socially  inept.  I don’t mean he is shy or unconfident, Ivan has real social even borderline mental issues.  He also clearly has OCD.  It doesn’t sound  very romantic does it?...Except that it really, really is. When Ivan is  being his nerd self he is beyond adorable.  He is charming in his own  geeky way and is completely lovable (he reminded me a lot of Reed in  Criminal Minds which did not hurt at all.)   It was not hard to see why  Camilla was so utterly taken with him.

Camilla is another thing  that this book does differently.  She doesn’t come from a bad or abusive background.  She doesn’t have 'trust issues'.  She isn’t a push over and  neither is she too stubborn for her own good.  Camilla is a normal woman like you and me (unless you are a dude.)  She is funny, realistic and  impossible to dislike.  I love the way she interacts with Ivan, the way  she understands his awkward nature.  I also love the way she obsesses  and pines over him, it is really amusing (let’s face it we’ve all been  there.) But what she doesn’t know is that Ivan is not just a control  freak nerd,  he also likes control in the more private and personal  areas of his life…like the bedroom.  It turns out that despite  appearances Ivan is a Domme.

It is with the introduction of kinky sex scenes that this book nose-dived ever so slightly.  I think it is  hard to write romantic BDSM sex and I felt the romantic spark between  Ivan and Camilla diminished when it was introduced.  I much preferred  the ‘vanilla’ sex between the two.  It was a lot more emotional and  suited them, as a couple a lot better.The scenes themself were really good, and I have no problem with BDSM in my books at all.  I just wished the spark had stayed with them through it.

The first third of this book is 5  star worth and even after it is worth a high rating.  It is not for the  faint of heart but it has a lot more to offer than kinky sex.  It is  cute, funny and different from a lot of other books out there.  It comes highly recommended by me.

4 out of 5 stars