readingunderthewillowtree

Mary Costello
Ember - Bettie Sharpe

Ember

By Bettie Sharpe

Genre: Adult, Romance, Historical, Paranormal, Magic, Witches, Retelling, Novela

Format: Ebook, 98 pages

Warnings: sexual content, violence, language, Fantasy

Everyone loves Prince  Charming. They have to—he’s cursed. Every man must respect him. Every  woman must desire him. One look, and all is lost.

Ember would  rather carve out a piece of her soul than be enslaved by passions not  her own. She turns to the dark arts to save her heart and becomes the  one woman in the kingdom able to resist the Prince’s Charm.

Poor  girl. If Ember had spent less time studying magic and more time studying human nature, she might have guessed that a man who gets everything and everyone he wants will come to want the one woman he cannot have.

I really enjoyed this short Cinderella retelling.  It was gritty, dirty and compelling.  Bettie Sharp is not afraid to turn things on their head, this is not Cinderella as we know it.  Ember (our cinder girl) is not pure and wholesome.  She is powerful, dark and sometimes wicked. The same can be said for Prince Charming, who is not always what his name suggests.  None of the characters in this were perfect; they all had their faults, issues and secrets.

The storyline is brilliant and the at times surprisingly poetic.  It is a well put together book that catches you and transports you into is world with sentences.

It is not a book for the faint of heart.  It is dark and dirty and definitely for adults.  If you don’t mind that then I highly recommend this sinful fairy-tale.

4 out of 5 stars

Find out more:
Source: http://readingunderthewillowtree.blogspot.co.uk/2012/12/ember-by-bettie-sharpe.html